Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Meatloaf Recipe

   meatloaf
What respectable omnivorous mother doesn't have one? I discovered meatloaf when I was 15 or so and went over to a friend's house whose mother made it. I was instantly in love. I'd heard nothing but horror stories about meatloaf on t.v. and I didn't understand, as my mom didn't make meatloaf (but hers would probably have been delicious--my mom's a pretty good cook). I've had many kinds of meatloaf since and came to my own conclusions. Mainly: pork ruins meatloaf.

I had no idea people mixed meats in meatloaf until a couple years ago. I'm not a big fan of pork in the first place, but mixing it in, particularly sausage, definitely sends me running from one of my favorite foods. However, mixed meat doesn't have to be disgusting--or higher in fat.

Anyhow, after my Mother-in-law taught me to make meatloaf, I started experimenting with the dish to make it mine. One of the important things was to lower the fat content, since I have no gallbladder and high fat items make me ill.

So, without further blah blah blah-ing, here's my recipe!

What you need:

One-Two pound(s) lean ground beef
One pound lean ground turkey
One can sloppy joe sauce (or make your own! Having had ketchup, BBQ sauce and plain tomato sauce, I decided to try this--my husband despises ketchup--and it was a hit!)
6oz crushed cheese crackers (gluten free varieties are offered in many stores)
One egg (many people do meatloaf without the egg if you have allergies--some sub bread crumbs, but I don't see how that's necessary with the crackers--I haven't made it without egg, so I have no experience there)
1/4th of a small onion, diced
Ground peppercorn, to preference
Garlic pepper (or minced garlic or garlic powder), to preference
Salt, to preference
Curry Powder (sometimes I use it, sometimes not)
1/4th a can of black olives, sliced
4-6 shredded baby carrots
1/4 cup of tricolor peppers
One cup shredded cheese* (I usually use colby jack or cheddar jack)
Sliced cheese, enough to cover top of loaf*

*Cheese can be left out to reduce fat content

Preheat oven to 350

In either a large bowl or the pan, mix spices, crackers (crushing in the bag works best, IME), carrots, peppers, shredded cheese, onion, garlic, egg and ground meat with your hands. I usually do the dry first, then add the wet ingredients. Roll and mix until everything is thoroughly blended and there aren't any pockets of dry ingredients.

Shape into a loaf in the ungreased pan (or use a loaf pan). Wash hands (I usually run for the sink wailing for someone to turn on the water for me since I just touched raw ground meat and egg!). Smother with sloppy joe sauce. Place sliced cheese over top however you like.

Cook, uncovered, for 75-90 minutes (cooking times may vary) or until checking the center reveals no pink. Slice and serve. (It won't look anything like the public domain picture I picked out, lol, but it should taste better than that one looks like it would) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil and remember that my blog is not for debate. I have friends in all walks of life, so don't assume anything from individual posts! I do enjoy hearing from you, though :)